No matter what PC you are using, whether it is a laptop or a desktop, you need to know how to access it. Here on this page, you’ll get to know how to start and shut down a computer in a proper way.
This information will help you to avoid operating system crashing issues due to the unusual activities done by you.
Tip: Don’t interrupt the process of starting and shutting down a computer. It will affect the operating system files and lead to crashing down.
How to start a computer?
To start a computer, you need to press the power button on it. But, the computer only turns ON when the power supply is connected to it and it is in an ON state. If the computer doesn’t turn ON, then check the SMPS power status (the “I” represents ON and the “O” represents OFF).
Let’s see how you can start a desktop computer and a laptop. If they don’t turn ON for various reasons, how do you find and fix them?
Steps to start a desktop computer:
Follow these steps so that you can turn ON any computer in front of you.
- Connect all the required cables like power cable, front panel connectors, CPU fans for cooling, etc.
- If you are sure about the cable management on your computer, then turn ON the power supply to the computer. To protect your PC from short-circuits and other unwanted things, use UPS protection.
- After you turn ON the power supply, the system is ready to start. Make sure that the SMPS is in active mode.
- Then push the power button on the CPU. The computer will start by displaying the motherboard model on the screen.
- Give it some time to load the operating system files, and then the Windows lock screen will appear.
This is the actual process of turning ON a desktop computer. In some cases, the keyboard and mouse will get lighted (if they are RGB) when you turn ON the power supply to your computer. However, this thing depends on the motherboard brand and its features. So there is nothing to worry about when the keyboard and mouse get lighted even when you don’t push the power button on the CPU. If your computer is in a loop (ON and Off repeatedly), here is a guide you can go through.
Make sure your monitor is in the ON state because if the monitor is in Off mode, it displays nothing but a blank screen and that doesn’t mean the computer is not working properly.
Tip: If your PC doesn’t turn ON when you push the power button on the CPU, analyze the PC components and their working. Before going to take any action, turn off the power supply to your PC to avoid electric shock.
Steps to start a laptop:
Now you know how to turn ON a desktop computer. This is for those who are looking to turn ON their laptop safely without any issues.
When compared to the desktop computer, the laptop turning ON process is easy. But, it is difficult when the laptop is ON and when it is in sleep mode.
First, let’s see the steps involved in starting a laptop.
- Connect the power cable or charger to the socket and the other end to the laptop.
- Turn ON the power supply to the laptop by turning ON the switch
- Just wait for a while (around 30 seconds) and then push the power button on the laptop. You can find the power button on your laptop when you open the lid. Some laptops have a power button behind the screen.
- The system starts to read and load operating system files. And then the lock screen will display. Enter the password if necessary.
- Based on the charging level on your laptop, you can use the device in AC or DC mode. If the laptop has 80% or more charge, then you can unplug the charger and use it in DC mode.
The laptop is a carryable device, so it is good to use the laptop in DC mode. Here you can find the complete comparison between the desktop PC and the laptop.
Just because the laptop screen displays nothing doesn’t mean the laptop is in Off mode. Look at the power indicators of your laptop to find whether the device is in sleep mode or hibernate mode.
How to shut down a computer?
To shut down a computer, you have multiple options. One of the best ways among them is using the shortcut. Use the shortcut (Alt + F4) on the wallpaper screen and then click enter. The PC will shut down after you do it.
Here are the multiple ways to shut down your laptop computer.
- Use the shortcut key (Alt+F4) on the wallpaper screen and then press enter. The system will shut down.
- Push the power button on the CPU or on your laptop.
- Turn Off the power supply. I do not recommend it unless your PC is stuck or in a loop.
- Windows key >> Power >> Shut down
The shutdown is a completely decent approach to turning Off a computer. But for professionals, closing and opening the same apps, again and again, is a time waste process. So Windows brings the excellent feature called hibernate mode. You can use the hibernate mode to do your work without any interruption. The sleep mode is also good. You can use it too if you want.
Tip: You can set up the default functions to hibernate (when you press the power button). So, you can increase your work potential.
I think now you get a clear idea of how to start and shut down a computer. If you have anything to say or ask, feel free to make a comment.
Also, check out the tips for Windows users’ article. This helps you to find useful stuff on your Windows PC.